Alamo Sierra Club Monthly Meeting
Our general meetings are on the third Tuesday of each month at William R. Sinkin Eco Centro. They are free and open to everyone. Socializing begins at
Our general meetings are on the third Tuesday of each month at William R. Sinkin Eco Centro. They are free and open to everyone. Socializing begins at 6:00 p.m., program at 6:30 p.m.. Presentations last about an hour.
January Topic & Speaker
The San Antonio Zoo’s Center for Conservation & Research (SAZCCR) has active conservation programs across the globe. Danté Fenolio, who runs the Center for Conservation & Research for San Antonio Zoo (SAZCCR), will describe several projects, including:
- A collaboration with indigenous groups in Amazonian Peru, working to maintain stands of rainforest on traditional lands, in spite of very challenging logging, hydrocarbon extraction, and mining activities.
- A partnership with the Austral University in Valdivia, Chile, developing a series of labs to breed critically endangered amphibians from the temperate rainforests in the region, to address stressors from deforestation and forest fragmentation.
- A partnership with the Chinese Academy of Sciences, documenting the diversity and distribution of cavefishes in south China; amazingly, China has 120 species of cavefishes, more than any other region of the world, however nearly all are threatened with contamination and over-extraction of groundwater.
- A partnership with Japanese biologists to keep Japanese Giant Salamanders in the wild, by implementing “salamander ladders”, along streams with small to mid-sized dams that isolate populations and reduce genetic diversity.
- The DEEPEND project, a consortium of biologists examining impacts of oil spills in the Gulf of Mexico on the local species.
- Finally, SAZCCR works with state and federal wildlife authorities to bioinventory subterranean habitats ranging from the Ozarks to Texas to the Floridan Aquifer; it also develops captive husbandry and breeding protocols for imperiled and critically endangered species.
Zoom meeting access info
- Meeting ID: 966 5254 0606
- Passcode: 377093
- Link: https://sierraclub.zoom.us/j/96652540606?pwd=UUVISUw3OHluQ2xsQk5IeENxeXFZdz09
Eco Centro is located at San Antonio College, 1802 North Main Avenue @ Locust Street. There is a parking lot adjacent to Eco Centro which is entered from Locust Street. We can also use SAC parking lots 14, 15 and 17 (map of parking lots) to the north, west and south of the STIC building across North Main Avenue from Eco Centro.
Parking is also allowed on the residential streets to the east, north and south of Eco Centro.
Visit Deceleration’s Happening Events Calendar.
(Tuesday) 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm(GMT-06:00) View in my time
1802 N Main Ave, San Antonio, TX 78212